Friday, January 22, 2010

Packages

I might as well be honest with you all: I am, always have been and always will be a serial shopper. Try as he might, my lovely husband never managed to put a halt to it. A damper, yes. A halt, definitely not. As soon as the bedrest sentence fell, I could see the relief in his eyes, knowing I wouldn't be able to shop for the next 6 months. Little did he know what would happen... *evil laugh*

ONLINE SHOPPING! Ha! He thought he could take me out of the shops but he didn't see THAT coming! And it's all benefit is double for me: not only do I get to fulfill my need for shopping, but I get plenty of packages every week, delivered right to my door! It's like gifts! For me! By the time they get here, I've forgotten that I paid for all that, which makes it all the better. My favorite is buying books at The Book Depository: not only do they deliver worldwide for free, but they ship the books one at a time. So all I need to do is buy 10-15 books at a time, and I'm guaranteed 10-15 days of packages. How clever!

My only issue is that Chinese postmen are very scared of big, black dogs like mine. To be fair, the "Caution! Fierce dog inside!" sign I have on my gate might not be helping. So they either try to call out from the front gate of my house or better yet for them, just drop a notice in my mailbox. My poor cleaning lady is now making daily trips to the post office for me. Note to self: must give her a raise very soon.

A new kind of packages has begun to arrive. They don't have a receipt attached to it, and they are filled with love, gossip magazines and candies: my friends from all over the world are rallying to help me survive bedrest! I'm moved to tears every time I get a card or a package from them. Especially from the ones I've never met. You see, after we lost the twins, I joined a fantastic online support group for grieving mothers. There, I've made the best friends, who understand what I am going through and who've been at my side from day 1. They have never met me, live on the other side of the oceans, and they are helping me survive the bedrest and the anxiety of this pregnancy. And that, is worth a thousand packages from American Apparel.

No comments:

Post a Comment