Thursday, February 25, 2010

29 weeks

Busy busy week. Tuesday, I had to go to the hospital to get the steroid shots to mature the Bean's lungs, just in case I go into labor early. These shots have to be taken 12h apart, so after my first shot in the morning and a few hours on my dear couch, hubby and I decided that enough was enough and that we deserved some real couple time. Before going back to the hospital, we treated ourselves to the amazing Avatar 3D movie and some popcorn. I didn't run around, I didn't walk more than needed but man it felt good to go out with my husband!

But by the time we got back to the hospital, the Bean hadn't moved in a very long time, which is very unusual. Especially given all the brownies, popcorn and soda I had had. I immediately went into panic mode but I was trying to control myself. I told the nurse that I hadn't felt any movement for more than two hours, hoping that she had a doppler somewhere in her pockets (don't all nurses do?). She paged my OB, who told me to come straight up to labor and delivery ward to get monitored. By then, there was no more controlling my panic. I nearly fainted in the lift - I couldn't bear the thought of losing another baby and I was a total mess. We were ushered into a delivery room with a midwife. I laid on the table and she strapped the monitor to my belly. 2 minutes of utter silence. According to hubby, I turned a greenish white. All the while she was looking for the heartbeat, the midwife was asking me STUPID questions about the twins! She didn't even say "sorry for your loss" or anything like that. She saw my c-section scar and asked what it was. I was like, what do you think it is?! Then she asked me why I hadn't delivered the twins naturally, even though she knew I had a stitch in. I told her they had done an emergency c-section and all she had to say was:"but why? I mean, at 25 weeks, it's not worth trying to save them". I took all I had not to punch her in the face.

Anyways...coming back to the current baby. Finally, there was a heartbeat! And lots of kicks, but I couldn't feel any of them. We could hear them on the monitor, but my belly was still. Blood came back to my face and I was all shaky. I was monitored for about 1h, after which Dr. G. came to see me. According to him, the Bean has turned towards my back and since I have an anterior placenta, it's no surprise I couldn't feel anything. Phew!

Thursday was my regular check-up (3.5cm, thank you very much) and since it was Cheating On Bedrest Week, I went to my friend's baby shower. I was so much fun! The only problem is that I am really not accustomed to seeing more than 2-3 people at the same time anymore. I didn't know where to look, who to talk to or what to do! Prolonged periods of bedrest have apparently turned me into a socially inept woman. I wish I could've stayed longer and worked on my social skills but I felt so guilty being away from my couch that I quickly got a taxi back home. Then I decided that this coming week, I would do penance for having been such bad bedridden Mommy: I am not going to leave my couch for anything else than sleeping and bathroom trips! I really won't. Strict bedrest, like in the old days. Ugh.

1 comment:

  1. I finally had a minute to catch up on your blog...you are an amazing writer. I wished I had 1/2 your talent. I can truly feel what your going through. I am amazed at how your doing even though you may feel like there is no end in sight, your soo close to holding the bean.

    I am soo EXCITED to hear the words "It's a boy" or "It's a girl"

    KEEP UP THE GREAT BEDREST WORK MOMMA

    ReplyDelete