Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cold, insomnia & bedrest

I'm very cranky these days: I've got a cold and I cannot sleep anymore.

See, the thing about being ill and insomniac while pregnant, is that there is not much you can do about it. Most medication is not suitable for pregnant women.
I googled "cold during pregnancy" and this is what came up:

- Drink lots of water: no kiddin'... not only am I drinking about 2L water a day (that's half a gallon, my American friends)
- Drink tea with honey and lemon: I've had so much of this, I'm sick of it and it's not working.
- Put a humidifier in your room: I live in Hong Kong, it's like living in a giant humidifier.
- Rest a lot: hello? What do you think I'm doing all day long?

So I called my OB's office to know what more I could do, and the nurse cheerfully told me to drink lots of water and rest a lot. I controlled my crazy pregnant self instead of shouting abuse to her, and calmly told her that I was already on bedrest and if I drank any more water, I'd become liquid myself. And oh miracle, she said I could take Panadol and Strepsil! Hallelujah. You should have seen the smile on my face when my housekeeper came back from the pharmacy with the goodies.

That leaves only one problem to solve: insomnia. Another quick googling informed me that 78% of pregnant women suffer from insomnia. While I appreciate that misery loves company, that fact is not going to help me sleep. I wake up every night at 5am, then cannot go back to sleep until about 7am. And since I am not a napper, I spend my days in a sleep deprived state. Which is not helping with the above mentioned cold. Some might argue that it's a good thing, that my body is preparing me for motherhood. Thank you, body, but I'd rather stock up on sleep while I can. My middle-of-the-night googling kindly informed me of what I could do:

- Drink a cup of hot milk: that sounds very nice, but how do I get my hot milk, when it's 5am, that hubby is on business trip and that I'm alone in the house? Huh? How do you suppose I do that?
- Sleep in a recliner: the only way I am allowed to spend my life - ok, the next 3 months - is horizontally.
- Get up and do something else, such as reading a book, listening to some music, etc.: my problem begins at "get up".

How I long for the days of medication and sleeping pills. I hate bedrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment