Friday, February 19, 2010

Third trimester, here I come!

Ha! I made it! I am now officially in my third trimester of pregnancy, a stage I've never reached before. It feels totally exhilarating, even if all the books, friends and websites say it's the most uncomfortable time of a pregnancy. But to me, it's a small victory and I'm looking forward to these 10 last weeks of uncomfort.

My 28 weeks check-up yesterday showed the same amazing cervix holding firm at nearly 4cm, which for someone who was born with a 3cm cervix is completely unbelievable. The Bean is also doing very well, spending its days hiccuping (which I am told by Dr. G. that it's a very healthy sign) and is now 1.2kg (2 lbs 6 oz). That's more than double the weight of my little girl. If the Bean were born now - but I'm working on that not happening - its chances of survival are 96%. The risks of long-term damages are still pretty high, which is why my beloved Dr. G. is going to give me the lung maturation steroid shots next weeks. Just in case. Last year, all my doctors at the hospital were all desperately waiting for me ot reach 24 weeks so they could give me these shots, and the last one was given to me while I was in labor. It's such a weird feeling to hear my OB tell me that it's only a precaution and that he doesn't think I'll go in preterm labor! But it's a nice feeling :-)

I've decided to treat myself as a reward for making it this far, after exactly 100 days on bedrest. I am going to have a wax! Don't laugh. And don't pull that face either. You have no idea what it feels like to see my body go to waste. When you spend more than a quarter of a year on bedrest, your body image and self-esteem takes a blow. The only areas of my body that I can take care of are my face, my hands and to some extend, my belly (not stretch marks so far, yay!). I give myself mini-manucures once a week and do tons of these awesome Japanese sheet-masks that make you look like a ghost but leave you with the softest skin. Everything below my belly has not been given any TLC for a while, since I cannot reach it anymore. So today, super hubby is driving me to the nearby day spa and will pick me up when I've said my goodbyes to my hairy self. Now if only I could also manage to go to the hairdresser and have a pedicure...

No comments:

Post a Comment