Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What's that now?

Ever heard of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy? It's not only a word that can get you lots of point in Scrabble, or make you look very intelligent in a party. It's the name of a nasty pregnancy-related condition which affects 1-2 women in a 1'000. And guess what?? I'm one of them!! Lucky me.

To put it simply, it means that the levels of acids in the bile rise, spill into the bloodstream (and the placenta, of course) during pregnancy. If not managed in time, it can cause stillbirth. The only symptom is intense itching.
So when I started scratching my legs like a mad dog this weekend, I didn't wait a second and called my new favorite OB. He ordered a blood test and confirmed yesterday that I had this lovely disease. Oh joy. Just another thing to worry about.

After a massive breakdown last night, hubby called Dr. D. and got him to agree to deliver this little monster earlier than planned. The baby will still be full-term (37 weeks) and will be at less risk of stillbirth. Which means that I have another 7 days to freak out before finally holding our miracle in my arms. That's going to be 7 days from hell. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment