Friday, March 26, 2010

More drama

Oh boy...I'm getting so tired of having an incompetent cervix AND an irritable uterus.

Yesterday, at 33w2d (cervix still closed at 3.5 with only micro-funneling), I decided it was time to treat myself to a massage to ease my physical pain. And since one of my good friends was having her baby shower in one of the 5* hotels here, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and have the massage at hotel's spa. Before leaving, I starting contracting mildly but frequently. But as soon as I got into the taxi, it stopped. Then it started again when I got to the spa. Then it stopped when I laid down on the massage table. Then it started again, but stronger, after my massage. By the time I got down to where the shower was, the contractions were 30 seconds apart and coming hard. I only stayed 10 min and then excused myself to hurry home back to my couch.

BUT the Hong Kong Sevens are happening right now. It's part of the Sevens World Series in rugby and kind of a big deal. All the taxis were taken, I was standing at the hotel's taxi stand for 30 min, contracting like crazy and with no prospects of going home. And hubby was at those damn Seven's, incapable of getting to me. I had a meltdown right there, in the middle of Hong Kong, sobbing and hyperventilating. Things were really bad and I thought that I should go to that dreadful hospital. So I went back into the hotel, and lied to the concierge (a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!), telling him that I was having my baby and needed to get into a taxi ASAP. Poor man, I think I freaked him out. Within 2 minutes, I was in the only available taxi around (how did he do that??) and I was on my way to the hospital. It dropped me off there, and by the time I was on the table for monitoring, I wasn't contracting anymore. All this was happening with hubby on the phone, going "what's happening? what's happening?". Luckily, I got discharged after 1h, back into a taxi, and home in my bed around 8pm. You can't imagine how miserable I felt, and am still feeling. I cried the whole way, the entire evening and a bit more this morning.
I know I'm doing this for the best reason in the world, but man it's tough! The ONE time that I want to see my friends who have been so supportive during these dark months, I have to make a mad dash for the hospital after 10 min. And all that time, hubby is at the biggest HK event of the year, drinking beer and having fun. NOT FAIR!

I whined and moaned all morning, telling the world (aka my husband and my dog) that I was fed up with this pregnancy, that I couldn't do it any longer. Then I got online, googled "34 weeks preemie" and that was enough to give me another boost in motivation to make it on bedrest another 2 weeks and 5 days. How come it's harder at the end than it was at the beginning?

I've cancelled any "wild" plans of getting out of my house for the next 19 days. That little experience cured of thinking that it was ok to move around a bit more now. Bouh :-(
I think I should send a thank-you card to the concierge of the hotel. Or I'll just send him a picture of the Bean once he/she is here!

1 comment:

  1. Good girl! Its hard but worth it. Hang in there! - alicia

    ReplyDelete